The current Gakyil for Dzogchen Community West Coast has served for more than three years. Yes, we are willing to continue to serve for a while longer. But not without your help! We are eager to bring in fresh voices, new ideas, younger energies to help manage Dondrubling’s ongoing community.
Please consider stepping up to roles on an expanded Gakyil. Whatever your expertise—communicating, facilitating practices, fundraising, managing the website, coordinating membership, project planning—the community needs your energies, now.
We are actively seeking candidates to augment the current team. We will train, support, and collaborate with new candidates who volunteer to serve on an expanded six-member team. Because most of Dondrubling’s activities are presently online, please consider volunteering to serve even if you live outside of the Bay Area. We can still connect!
To find out more about Dondrubling’s needs and the matchup with your specific skills and interests, please send your queries soonest–and no later than February 20, 2022–to email@example.com
Many thanks from the stalwart but aging Dondrubling Gakyil,
Doug Doerr, Blue
Kathleen MacDougall, Yellow
Linda Handy, Red
Laurel Bellon, membership coordinator
Please note that current membership in the International Dzogchen Community is a prerequisite for serving on a local Gakyil.
Descriptions of specific Gakyil tasks are from Choegyal Namkhai Norbu’s 2006 Blue Book guidelines and principles for practitioners and Gakyil members, p. 20
- Manage financial aspects of the ling to ensure transparency, including reporting income from retreats and courses, tax acknowledgments to donors, keeping records and reconciling accounts; or supervising external bookkeeper and accountant
- Manage payments to web host, ISP, Zoom, P.O. Box, storage facility, insurance company, Delaware LLCs
- Preparation of biannual financial reports
- Manage legal aspects of the ling, including communication with Delaware LLCs that enable nonprofit status to Tsegyalgar West
- Manage budget for events, maintenance, and accommodations
- Oversee retreat and course registrations and payments
- Supervise fundraising campaigns
- Organize events, courses and retreats, including scheduling, and media promotion
- Manage online communications, including practice calendar announcements, special announcements, website updates, and posts to social media. Familiarity with Mailchimp is required.
- Coordinate Zoom meetings
- Prepare or supervise printed communications. Design skills and an ability to use Adobe Indesign and Photoshop or similar is an advantage, or the ability to direct and manage others with these skills
- Supervise rentals of space for events and activities
- Manage karmayoga and work-exchange for retreats
- Manage storage, maintenance, and registration of all materials and equipments
- Supervise choice and purchase of materials, equipment
- Book accommodations for visiting instructors
General Requirements for all Gakyil Members:
- Personal orientation towards benefiting the Dzogchen Community and the teaching and legacy of ChNN
- Basic IT skills; effective use of email
- Collaborative and harmonious interpersonal skills; willingess to participate productively as a team member
- Problem-solving and cooperative negotiation skills
- Active driver’s license